Friday, November 6, 2009

St. Charles/Campton Chicross # 6: The race that never was

Fitness=D+
Bike Handling=C-
Race Tactics=D
Yeah the report card is first because I kind of want to get it over with. Sure enough this was my first Chicross race running on little sleep/improper warmup/hangover etc. so the results were not too impressive.
Funny enough my start did not suck as we entered the muddy section after the start I was somewhere slightly midpackish with riders that are usually in front of me behind me. Of course they would eventually pass me in that first lap as I took all the wrong lines the first time around. In the second lap I took a nasty spill when my front wheel hit some deep mud and took me down.
Race fitness was not optimal and I did not race very hard. Usually when I see riders pass me I attempt to get back on their wheels. My legs and spirit were not in a fighting mood and I took it kind of easy. As the race went on the super fun mud started to dry up in places. I finally got the right lines down but was not able to take advantage of it as I spent (for the first time this season) some time in no-mans land.
I got lapped at Jackson Park, and I got lapped here too on the very last lap. That really sucked but I still had fun with the mud, probably the only mud that we'll see this season. It was really fun to race in true Belgianesque style, and for that I'll write off this race happily and say bring on the next one.

No comments: