Monday, October 19, 2009

Carpentersville Chicross # 4




Well I'll tell you what my problem is, I am not aggressive enough in the starts. Lining up on the third row on sunday I clipped in pretty quickly but once the pack started going at it I got too timid and gave many places up.

The start was fast and pretty furious. I was able to move okay through the initial cluster fuck corners that are typical of the first laps. Not having felt too awesome that morning I could feel it a little in that first lap as my teammates in front of me started to gap me. I settled in with my group as Dave, Chris and Al rode off into the distance.

My group consisted of Paolo of xXx, whom Ive finished behind many times before. David of Flatlandia, who I seem to catch later in the race as he fades from doing more than 1 race in a day. And Martin and James of Pony shop, both who have finished very close to me in the last races. Feeling a little better as the laps counted down I really enjoyed the course.

The fast paved section allowed me to put some hurt down on every lap, or suck some wheel whatever was most convenient. The course was fast enough that I didnt feel like I was over shooting any turns and I handled my bike fairly well that day. Running the sandpit hurt but for some reason when I made the 180 turn I would get a second wind and sprint. The pump section was good and bad. It seemed like if I wasnt making up distance on a rider I was losing it, but I really liked the fairly straight grass section after the pump section that turned its way into the paved section. It was on this part that I was able to put down some serious digs and pass guys or make up time. I was able to crank it hard and take the turns super-clean.

One thing that I am really good at is capitalizing on the mistakes of others. Twice in this race rider's bike handling mishaps allowed me to pass them. If I see somebody crash or take a turn too hot I am right there ready to pass them. Eventually my legs and clicked and with some good luck I was able to make up 3 spots in the last two laps. These werent easy passes though. I layed down some hard efforts and kept looking back to make sure that I was keeping my spots. My results and places might not be the best but I am fighting hard for each place. I am not riding easy or lazy. I feel a little better each race and cant wait to bring my climbing legs to Bartlett. My report card for Carpentersville Chicross # 4



Fitness=B+


Bike Handling=B


Race Tactics=C








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! You did well on the corners - the hammer efforts on the straightaways matter - so you used your matches wisely!